sábado, 30 de janeiro de 2010

Networking and the theory of the 6 degrees of separation

This week class was focused on the importance of (i) Networking and (ii) Reaching out to those who can help. I mean, there it is of no value in having a network that you don't use because you are simply afraid of talking to people or that they would judge you.
A little bit more insight on the theory of the six degrees of separation: "Six degrees of separation (also referred to as the "Human Web") refers to the idea that, if a person is one step away from each person they know and two steps away from each person who is known by one of the people they know, then everyone is at most six steps away from any other person on Earth. It was popularized by a play written by John Guare." (Thank you wikipedia for this information).
The way I interepret this is Networking is easy because if anyone in the world is conected by a max of 6 other people, than as Porugal is smaller, and everyone knows everyone, it will be much easier to find someone and contact him so that he can help me in job searching.
I have done that already and scheduled a couple of conversations with friends from the PE and Banking industry so that they could tell me a little bit more about their job, their day to day life and their business.
I hope I can get insiht out of them and see if that is appropriate for me. In the limit, if I am not abe to find anything appealing I'll start spending more money in EuroMilhões ;-)
Cheers
Daniel

1 comentário:

  1. Yes, we all need to play Euromilhões! Glad to see that you are networking and doing information interviews.

    What major challenges are you having so far in the program? Tell me how you are managing time, people, and projects. What skills do you think you have improved so far?

    roderick

    ResponderEliminar